After a long delay, the new headliner has finally been installed this week. As a reminder: the roof of our Fiat 850 had a lot of dimples and dent removal was not an option. The roof on the Special that we bought in the North of Holland was OK, so we transplanted it a long time ago, including the rails that were needed for the mounting of the liner.
We had all the parts needed, including the upholstery, although it didn't look good. So I took it apart and bought new fabric. After that I looked at my wife, for a long time, and since a few weeks we now have a neat piece of headlining. In black because we liked it better in combination with the light blue color. Then it needed to install it, which was quite an adventure. Some explanation:
The first design did have "tunnels" of vinyl for the stirrups, but they were too tight, leaving us with a lot of wrinkles in the lining that could not be tightened. The second design therefore got tunnels made of fabric: flexible and much easier to make.
The lining was mounted by first placing the 6 brackets. Then the upholstery was stretched with new clamps (From Padua) and after a week of "stretching" to get the wrinkles out, we spent this week on final stretching and glueing, after which the side windows could be put back in. An 850 Special has panels with imitation leather on the front and rear window pillars. Of course we have also adapted it to the new color:
Clamps and glue are needed to get the lining taut. A lot of cutting and clipping is needed for the curved lines:
And then we put back the windows with an old trick: soap, a rope and a lot of hitting (on the window, of course)
From new-old stock I installed new handles, just nicer than the old ones:
For those interested: I have a few left in stock ...